June is Garage Door Safety Month!
It is time to perform safety inspections on your overhead garage doors.
Here are a few things that homeowners should check. Remember a professional should inspect and make any repairs! A yearly visit from the garage door repair technician will keep your door running safely and smoothly.
- Check that the door opens and closes smoothly. If not, the springs may need to be adjusted.
- If your garage door springs are not correctly gauged, they may be too tightly wound and can cause damage or injury if they wear out and break.
- Make sure you do not have any loose brackets on your door. Brackets are under tension and they can cause injury if they loosen or are removed.
- Closely inspect cables, look for wearing or fraying.
- Check the opener’s automatic reverse. To test the garage door opener, put a roll of paper towels under the door. Lower the door, it should reverse when it hits the paper towels. If it does not reverse have it checked!
- Always install control opener switches at least 5 feet above the floor so small children cannot reach them.